Evaporative Condenser and Disinfection
Keeping surfaces clean within a cooling tower or evaporative condenser system not only ensures that the thermal performance is optimised but also that the growth of biofilm and harmful bacteria, including legionella, is avoided. This is achieved by effective water treatment and a programme of manual cleaning and disinfection.
It is recommended cooling towers and evaporative condensers are cleaned when an inspection indicates the need or in response to circumstances resulting in contamination (or when there are high bacteria or legionella counts).
Description of cooling tower cleaning and disinfection process:
- The area around the unit is cordoned off and hazard signs displayed.
- Pre-disinfection before cleaning.
- The recirculating water is disinfected by dosing an oxidising biocide solution (normally sodium hypochlorite, bromine or hydrogen peroxide) together with a biodispersant. This is intended to attack the biofilm, loosen deposits and disinfect the system prior to cleaning.
- The disinfected water is circulated for 5,2 or 1 hours whilst monitoring regularly that the available oxidant in the water is at the specified level.
- The water is neutralised before draining.
- All accessible surfaces within the unit are cleaned by physical means or using a pressure washer. The drift eliminators, spray branches, nozzles, grommets and strainers are removed and cleaned. The fill pack is inspected and cleaned as needed. All sludge, deposits and debris are removed from the sump.
- The sound attenuation baffles if fitted are disinfected by spraying with a biocidal solution.
- All components are re-installed and the unit re-filled with water.
- Post disinfection after cleaning. The pre-disinfection procedure is repeated.
- The system is flushed and then re-filled with fresh water.
- The water treatment programme is re-instated.
- A disinfection certificate is provided.
Cooling tower cleaning and disinfection is not a substitute for water treatment but part of an overall programme for effective bacteriological control.
In the UK the Approved Code of Practice (ACoP) within HSC document L8 “Legionnaires’ disease the control of legionella bacteria in water systems” requires systems and the water in it to be kept clean. Routine cooling tower cleaning and disinfection and evaporative condensers is a vital part of maintaining system cleanliness. Cooling tower cleaning and disinfection processes carried out by Enviroteam Services Ltd fully satisfies the Guidance in L8 for cleaning operations.
- Cooling tower cleaning and disinfection procedures are in full compliance with national legislation and codes of practice for controlling the risk of legionella bacteria.
- Cooling tower cleaning and disinfection can be extended to include associated plant such as water softeners and heat exchangers.
- All cooling tower cleaning and disinfection service personnel are Enviroteam Services Ltd trained and wear suitable personal protective clothing and equipment.
- Cooling tower cleaning and disinfection procedures are carried out in accordance with regulatory or site-specific health and safety requirements.
- A unique benefit is that cleaning and disinfection can be combined with inspection and condition report of the cooling tower or evaporative condenser.
For an instant quote for cooling tower cleaning and disinfection, that covers everything that will need to be done in order ensure that your system is clean and safe, please make contact. We will conduct a site survey to ensure that our quotation is accurate and, should you wish to proceed, we will provide you with a full method statement and COSHH sheets before work commences.
Please click here to email us, or call either 01698 642 643 or 07715 554 820. Our opening hours are Monday – Friday 09:00 – 17:00 hrs.